Korean BBQ Wings - Flavor Forecast 2012

>> Wednesday, February 1, 2012


I have discovered this week:

*I'm slowly losing my resistance - it’s about time for me to get a smartphone…like one where you can actually whatsapp people the photos you've taken throughout the day or navigate yourself out of being lost in the city.

*Purple is so not in at the moment.  I have struggled like never before to find a purple bridesmaid dress!

*The last thing I want to do after a long day at work is to come home and sit in front of the computer…I feel terrible about the emails to be sent and comments to be replied...

*The very first frangipani flower appeared on our balcony...aloha!


*It’s now February…no more excuses for putting things off just because “it’s still the beginning of the year.”

*I am supposedly chronically allergic to peanut butter and milk (according to a recent blood test). I wonder if I’d puff up if I have a peanut butter milkshake!

*This flavour combo – Korean Pepper paste with Sesame, Asian pear and Garlic is kinda amazing on my palate.


Remember the McCormick Flavor Forecast I posted a few weeks back, where I told you how I really wanted to try this flavour combo?

It's garlicky, peppery, slightly hot, sweet...and juicy (from the pear!)

Totally Tuesday night kinda food as you repeatedly wonder why it's not even half way through the week yet. It sure feels like a Friday to me!


Just mix together the Korean pepper sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, and a bit of sesame oil into a bowl.


Toss the wings/drumsticks into the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes (the longer the better!)

(I'm feeling uneasy putting photos up of uncooked chicken as this is mostly a flour-butter-eggs-sugar kinda blog...)


Bake (then grill, which I didn't) and enjoy!

I can see why people love this flavour combo! The juicy sweetness from the pear along with the garlicky Korean pepper sauce causes some serious finger licking actions until you find yourself with an empty plate in front of you on a feels-like-a-Friday Tuesday night!

Hurry up weekend. Come already!


"Korean BBQ meets Buffalo wings. These succulent finger foods are served with crunchy Asian pear to create a unique flavor adventure."

Korean BBQ Wings
Makes 12 appetizer servings.
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) Korean pepper paste (Gochujang)
  • 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup (60 mL or 85 grams) honey
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL or 20 grams) minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL or 2 grams) McCormick® Ground Ginger
  • 4 pounds (2 kilograms) chicken wing pieces (I used both drumsticks and wings)
  • 1 Asian pear
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL or 7 grams) McCormick® Sesame Seed
1. Mix hot pepper paste, soy sauce, honey, garlic, sesame oil and ginger in medium bowl until well blended. Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add 1/2 cup (120 mL) of the marinade; toss to coat well. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade.


2. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Place chicken on shallow foil-lined large baking pan. Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C, Gas Mark 5) oven 30 minutes, turning chicken halfway through cooking.
3. Meanwhile, quarter and core the Asian pear. Cut each quarter into 3 pieces. Place pear slices in large bowl. Add cooked chicken and 1/2 of the reserved marinade; toss to coat well.
4. Grill chicken and pear slices over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until grill marks appear, turning occasionally. Toss chicken and pear slices with remaining reserved marinade in large bowl. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seed.
Test Kitchen Tips:
  • Gochujang or Korean pepper paste is made from chile powder, glutinous rice powder, fermented soybeans and salt. It is used to flavor stews, soups and marinades, and as a condiment at the table. It is available in Asian markets and online specialty stores.
  • Chicken wings may be grilled without prebaking. Grill marinated chicken over medium-high heat 15 to 18 minutes until cooked through, turning frequently. Grill pear slices as directed, brushing with 2 tablespoons of the reserved marinade. Continue as directed.

31 comments:

Deborah February 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM  

I seriously loved this flavor combination, and was sad when all of my leftovers were gone. Might have to add it to the menu again for next week!!

Jeannie February 2, 2012 at 2:33 AM  

What a delicious combo, spicy and sweet, yummy!

Angela February 2, 2012 at 5:30 AM  

Love this, Vivienne. So vibrant. I'm glad I gave them your number :)

Zoe February 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM  

Love your Korean version of buffalo wings! You are always good in creating new taste.

Being baking for a year plus, I am thinking to explore more of the cooking side of me. For this reason, I'm organizing a blog hop event of cooking celebrity chef's recipes, starting on 1st Mar. The first person I chosen is to cook is Donna Hay and would wish that you can blog hop with me for this event.

Tina @ bitemeshowme February 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM  

That looks so good. I love marinating wings at home. So much better than what you get pre marinated or at the shops.

sweetsugarbean February 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

Wicked wings! What a great flavour combo - oh I wish it was Friday too :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook February 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM  

Bridesmaid dress? Is that for your wedding?? =)

Wow - I love your pear photo... so amazing. I can't take a picture like that! I always like your proper amount of light (or maybe this is not very technical term).

Heehee I use Japanese brand Gochujang too! This looks really delicious. I need to lower the heat but it sounds amazingly yummy!

Anh February 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM  

love love this! I am a big fan of Korean BBQ meat!

Vivian - vxdollface February 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM  

Ooh I actually use Korean pepper paste, pear etc add some brown sugar and soy to marinate beef ribs to make bulgogi! Nashi pears work best :)

Anonymous,  February 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM  

I'm so happy that I'm seeing you in my reader again :)

hanushi February 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM  

Viv, these chicken wings look so appetizing. I wish I can have them now!!

Lori February 6, 2012 at 5:32 AM  

I know what you mean about putting things off. Time to get to those things I would tackle 'later this year'. :) These look delicious. They would go over well at our house.

Zoe February 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM  

Great to hear from you.

I'm so happy to know that you are interested to blog hop with me with DH recipes. The event begins on 1st Mar and end on last day of the month. We can cook and blog as much as we like and link up with everyone. Can't wait for Mar to arrive...

Yi @ Yi Reservation February 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM  

The wings and drumsticks look sound delicious. Great pictures!

Korean BBQ sauce goes so well with almost any type of protein. I normally grate part of the pear and add to the marinade so the chicken can better absorb the pear flavor.

Ben @Focus:Snap:Eat February 8, 2012 at 4:59 AM  

Is frangipane the fancy name for plumeria? Just seeing that photo made me think of home. ... Love the idea for this Korean sauce, and this is a good time with the Asian pears in the market.

JasmyneTea February 8, 2012 at 11:20 AM  

Yum, these look great, I'll give them a try!
I also know what you mean with purple, I'm trying to find dresses for my bridesmaids and it's so hard!

Shu Han February 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM  

"Korean Pepper paste with Sesame, Asian pear and Garlic" wow that's one heck of a flavour combination. can't wait to give that a go.

sugarpuffi February 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM  

whaa the bbq wings looks delish! and yes, you are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overdue for a smartphone. an iphone to be exact.

Aizi February 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM  

i was just wondering what i could do for dinner tonite, and you provided me with the answer! does the flower smell of frangipane too? ;-)

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour February 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM  

These wings look fabulous!! GREAT flavor combination!

Wendy @ Obesebaby February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM  

I love drum sticks ! I knew the korean always like to use pear to mix with their sauce but I never thought of doing it at home! such a great idea...thanks heaps for the recipe as I jsut bought 2 kg worth of drum sticks from chicken farm..now i know what to do with it :)

Anonymous,  April 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM  

I'm going to need to buy some Pepper Paste. These look absolutely delicious. I love the sweet and salty combinations. I don't have a grill, but I will finish them off in the broil setting. Thanks for sharing!

Yong Pictures September 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM  

Oooops!~ What the beautiful smell on the photo!
Uuuum~

Anonymous,  February 21, 2014 at 6:12 AM  

Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon.www.hobsonavocats.com |

www.zeusportclub.com |

www.worldatendoftricks.com |

www.edgecliffautomotive.com |

www.marcellusshalebusinessplan.com |

Unknown October 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM  

I am impressed by the quality of information on this website
happy wheels
super mario bros
pacman
agario

huong duong September 27, 2016 at 6:05 PM  

I'm bored where I am living, so that when you go home I just want to chat with friends so I do not have to think any more about this place, a place where no relatives, no friends
geometry dash 2.0 , geometry dash , geometry dash 2.0 apk , geometry dash apk , geometry dash online

Anonymous,  November 2, 2017 at 6:45 PM  

I was very impressed by this post, this site has always been pleasant news. Thank you very much for such an interesting post. Keep working, great job! In my free time, I like play game: imgtaram. What about you?

Susan September 4, 2019 at 5:03 PM  

It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Thanks.
pictaram

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP