Bourke Street Bakery + Carrot cake recipe

>> Thursday, September 9, 2010

One fine Sunday after church, Sister and I were due to have lunch at Friend's so we decided to drop by the famous Bourke Street Bakery nearby to pick up a few items.

One should never turn up at a friend's empty-handed. This is instructed in Mother's book of etiquette.

This tiniest bakery is located at a small corner in the artsy Surry Hills and from afar, I could see a long line of people waiting for their lazy Sunday's caffeine and pastry/pie fix.

In my book of etiquette, one should also never turn up at a friend's famished and low on sugar. It may result in unsightly and unlady-like table manners.

Something has to be done about it. So we indulged in....

the smoothiest and flakiest chocolate tart...

beef brisket pie and pork & fennel sausage roll...

And packed the following for post-lunch treats at Friend's:

Lemon tart (I think I prefer Pierre Herme's recipe to this)...

Ginger brulee tart (so delicious - must try their Strawberry brulee tart next time)...

Carrot cake (see below for recipe)...


Bourke Street Bakery
633 Bourke Street Surry Hills (Corner Devonshire Street)
Tel: (02) 9699-1011.
Hours: Tue-Fri 7am-6pm
Sat-Sun 8am-5pm


I've started to see a trend recently - I love to incorporate veges and fruit in my baking! This carrot cake is definitely one fine example of it!

For this recipe - I substituted self-rising all purpose flour for self-rising wholemeal flour, which may be the reason why my cake didn't rise. I also omitted the cream from the frosting and used Greek style yoghurt as a substitute.

BSB's Carrot Cake
Serves 10
  • 70 g (2 1/2 oz) walnuts
  • 150 g (5 1/2 oz / 1 cup) self-raising flour (I used self-rising wholemeal flour)
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 55 ml (1 3/4 fl oz / about 2) egg whites
  • 60g (2 1/4 oz / 1/4 cup) sugar for egg whites (I halved this)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 160g (5 3/4 oz / 3/4 cup) sugar for egg yolks (I halves this)
  • 170 ml (5 1/2 fl oz / 2/3 cup) extra light olive oil
  • 125 g (4 1/2 oz) carrots, peeled and grated
Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 20 g (3/4 oz / 1 tsp) icing sugar, plus extra, for dusting
  • 20 g (3/4 oz / 1 tbsp) butter, softened
  • 145 g (5 1/4 oz) cream cheese
  • 40 ml (1 1/4 fl oz / 2 tbsp) pouring (whipping) cream (35% fat) (I used greek yoghurt instead)
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Grease an 18 cm (7 inch) round cake tin and line the base and side with baking paper - the paper should protrude about 2.5 cm (1 inch) above the tin.
2. Place the walnuts on a baking tray and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly roasted. Cool and cut into thirds. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt into a bowl. Repeat to ensure they are evenly mixed.
3. Put the egg whites in a very clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks start to form. Slowly pour in the sugar for the egg whites, while the motor is still running, being careful not to overmix - the meringue should reach soft peak stage. Quickly transfer the meringue to another bowl and set side until needed.
4. Put the egg and egg yolk in the bowl of the electric mixer and add the sugar for the egg yolks. Mix on high speed for 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture doubles in volume and is quite airy. With the motor still running, slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream being careful that it doesn't split or deflate too much.
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and with a spatula or gloved hand, gently fold in the flour mixture until combined. Fold in the carrots and walnuts. Quickly and lightly fold in the meringue - do not fold it through completely, you should still be able to see streaks of meringue through the mix.


6. Pour into the preapred tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of the cake comes out clean.
7. Meanwhile, make the cream cheese frosting. Cream the icing sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and smooth. Add the cream cheese in small amounts, allowing it to completely incorporated before adding the rest. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl during this process to ensure even mixing. Add the cream and mix until smooth, being careful not to overmix at this stage or the cream may curdle and separate. If using a different type of cream cheese for this recipe you may need to add a little more cream - the frosting needs to be of a spreadable consistency but not at all runny.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for about 30 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Using a serrate knife, slice horizontally through the centre of the cake to form two even-sized layers and fill with cream cheese frosting.

9. Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar to serve.

Verdict?!

My version is definitely a little bit more dense than Bourke St. Bakery's as I used wholemeal flour instead. I would also recommend that you half the sugar as I did...it's sweet enough (I guess that is a personal preference). Nevertheless, the cake is still delicious with crunchy wholesomeness from the walnuts and full of aroma from the spices!

15 comments:

chocolatesuze September 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

i went and bought a grater just so i can make this carrot cake :D

SK September 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

Love Bourke Street Bakery.
The ginger brulee tart is a personal fav!

Joanne September 11, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

God that is one serious array of good eats. I mean, ginger brulee tart and a sausage and fennel roll! I'm in a food coma just looking at them!

Carrot cake is one of my favorites and I love the idea of greek yogurt frosting. My kind of cake!

Von September 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

I've never been a huge fan of carrot cake but this looks really different and delicious!! I just got the Bourke Street Bakery book recently, and there's so many recipes I want to try!!

Anonymous,  September 12, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

That sounds like a great carrot cake recipe! You have wonderful photos, too, and I love the name of your blog! Thanks for stopping by to visit mine!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) September 13, 2010 at 2:02 AM  

I love the ginger brulee tart from BSB and argh, I really must get around to making something from my BSB cook book!

Julie September 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM  

miss viv you need a layer of icing on top and maybe another layer somewhere else then you make sure this gets delivered to julie's house :)

Petra (Zoom Yummy) September 14, 2010 at 5:13 AM  

Oh, this post is pure heaven! :) Petra

Jen September 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

Now that's 4 things in a row that I want to make from your recent posts!

Viv September 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

Suze: How did you survive all these without a grater! Hope the cake turns out good! :)

SK: Yea, the ginger brulee is so decadent. I want to try the strawberry one next time tho!

Joanne: I didn't have cream at that time and the yoghurt was waiting to go bad in the fridge, so that's how it come about ;) I think I'll be using yoghurt as a replacement from now on!

Von: Prob looks different coz the cake didnt rise and there's hardly any cream frosting :P

nancycreative: Thanks :) Yea, its a great recipe but bit time consuming!

Helen: Yea the ginger brulee is awesome! Will be a hard choice deciding what to make from the book!

Julie: hahah, how demanding are you! Too bad I don't really care for icings :P We need to have a bake-off sometime soon.

Petra: Hehe yes, I try not to look at the pics at night otherwise I get too hungry.

Jen: Haha well then you're going to be super busy baking + doing those cabra food tours in oct ;)

Deborah September 15, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

I would like to try a bite of each of those, then finish off with a slice of the carrot cake!

Anonymous,  September 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

That chocolate tart looks like it is the answer to 50% of all food cravings :)

Maria September 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

What a fine selection of cakes you had at the Bourke's Street Bakery! I think you carrot cake looks absolutely heavenly, too!

Matrox Graphics April 6, 2013 at 3:38 AM  

Hi, this was my first shot baking a carrot cake and I have to say your recipe produced "the best ever cake I have ever baked" - not my words but from my dad. Friends who ate said it was "awesome", "mind blowing" or "absolutely divine". I stuck to the recipe but threw in a few chopped dried apricots...thank you so much for an excellent recipe. Can't wait to try more of your recipes!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP