Apple crumble + butterscotch pudding

>> Saturday, June 12, 2010


Some days, a simply humble apple crumble just isn't enough.



You can perhaps dress it up...how about with a scoop of vanilla icecream?


No? Still not fancy enough huh?

Okay, how about this...a nice dollop of butterscotch pudding?

Butterscotch pudding...so smooth

Perfect! *nods happily*

Exactly what I needed on a lazy day like this...

The butterscotch pudding is the first recipe I have used from the book Baked: New Frontiers in Baking which I purchased last year. The authors are the owners of the famous bakery 'Baked' in Brooklyn, NY and there are so many creative recipes in there that I will hopefully make my way through one day! This is not the complete recipe however, as the pudding is supposed to sit on top of a oat-based tart. I'm too lazy to deal with pastry today...


The recipe for the apple crumble can be found here.

Butterscotch Pudding
From Baked: New Frontiers of Baking

Note: I halved the ingredients below and omitted the whisky addition
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar (I halved the sugar...as always)
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Put the egg yolks in a large heat proof bowl and set aside.

- In a small saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, and ¼ cup water and stir gently with a heatproof spatula. Brush down the sides of the pan to melt any loose sugar crystals. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, then increase the heat to medium-high heat and cook until the mixture begins to turn dark amber color. Swirl the pan, if necessary, to create an even color, but do not stir. Remove from heat and use the heatproof spatula to stir in the cream. Pour the caramel into small bowl. Set aside.

- In another small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in the milk and whisk to combine.

- Add the seeds from the vanilla bean and the vanilla bean pod. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the caramel. Whisk together until combined, then slowly pour one third of the mixture over the eggs, whisking continually. Keep whisking the egg mixture and add another third of the hot milk mixture. Transfer the egg mixture back to the saucepan with the milk minute and, whisking the whole time, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 3-4 minutes, or until very thick and a bit darker in color.

-Remove from the heat and whisk vigorously for about 1 minute to cool the pudding slightly. Let the pudding sit for about 15 minutes.

- Now that the pudding has cooled a tad, add the butter.

- Chill the pudding in the fridge for an hour, to thicken it. (I omitted this step and used it on the apple crumble straight away).

11 comments:

Duong June 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Looks so yummy! I made an espresso fudge yesterday and it didn't set. So I have a tray full of this delicious melted like chocolate goop. Hahaha. Maybe I'll call it pudding! I'm going to try and make the marshmallows next weekend when I find a thermometer :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

That looks delicious! And I have to say that I love the word serendipity too-life is full of serendipitous moments! :)

Julie June 14, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

hey vivienne :D shall we go jazushi this saturday? 25% d/c entertainment book =p! I am actually in the city quite often :D

The Spinning Plate June 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

My roommates would go nuts for this recipe! The butterscotch pudding looks... well, excellent.

Jessica June 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

Humble meets decadence! Love it!

Jen June 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I was already drooling just looking at the humble apple crumble but with the butterscotch pudding - oh you know how to indulge!

Unknown June 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM  

This looks so yummy! My family love apple desserts. We'll have to try this one.

Viv June 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Duong: I'm sure the tray of espresso fudge goop tasted good ;) Let me know how your marshmallow turns out this wkend!

Lorraine: Thanks. I like saying the word 'serendipitous' too ;)

Julie: Didn't know you're in the city that often, should meet up more often for food adventures aye!?

Angela: I had a bowl of leftover butterscotch pudding and ended up eating it all in one sitting the next day. It's great!

Jessica: Hehe, I like the way you put it - def humble and indulging!

Danelle: I hope you and your family'll like it ;) You can't go wrong with any type of baked apple desserts!

Lisa June 30, 2010 at 2:40 AM  

This look delicious -- so luscious and decadent!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP